To hold off, or to make do?


Since Christmas I've been looking for a buffet of sorts for our little dining room. I love serving dishes and pretty dishes and all the rest of it. My guests said my dining room looked like it was straight out of Martha Stewart Living. I think they were deluded, but I love them all the more dearly for it.

 My little kitchen doesn't have enough storage for all of the things that I want to put into it. Stacks of platters and candle holders don't hide very well on their own. Perhaps some day I will show my hoard.

So, I've been stalking Kijiji to see if anything suitable is out there. And, there is a lot that I want. My original thought was to find a leggy 1920's or so walnut buffet. My dining furniture is walnut from about that same vintage, and I love it. It should be refinished, but that's a few projects away from where I am right now. I've been looking for something like this:
Image courtesy of Google.
Or like this:
Image courtesy of Google.
But it seems that I will be needing to pay for the privilege of ownership here. While I know what I want (or at least I think I do) I don't want to pay $800 or more to have it. The furniture above would suit the room overall and really be a piece I would use and love. I don't plan on getting rid of the furniture I have now, especially as the low china cabinet I have was a gift from a very favourite aunt who is no longer with us.

However, to be blunt about it, I am frugal. Or cheap. With no budget for pretty things at this moment. With things that need/ want to be stored away. Hence, the consideration of this option:

Kijiji Saskatoon maple buffet.

But am I settling? I would normally like this piece, except it's not at all what I have going on otherwise. Can I make it something more suited to my space? Or, will it turn out to be that thing I thought I would like that I come to hate? My cabinets will be painted, so at least there are going to be other painted items in the area. I wonder if I could refinish it darker, to make it feel more suited to the space. However, I'm worried that it will just look modern and dark, rather than sort of vintage, which would be the desired effect from redoing it.

I may also be obsessing about nothing. I'm fairly good at that.
What would you do? Go with the perfectly fine and workable piece for $100, or hold out, hoping something vintage comes along that is less than $800?

Comments

Popular Posts