Room for different tastes? Or different spouses in different houses?

So, it has obviously been quiet in these parts for a while, but the fire for design still burns. Ok, that sounds terrible, and a bit like something that necessitates treatment with a topical ointment.

The house is still under quiet slow renovation. This summer we decided that rather than continuing to live with gold veined countertops that may be original to the 1962 or 1965 build of this house, we would at the very least do something of a kitchen revamp. Overall, that has gone well, as I have taken the lead and gotten pretty much anything I wanted so far, within the realm of possibility (what I choose actually exists on Earth) and no budget whatsoever. Picking new counter tops has become the bane of my existence, and I am inordinately tempted to purchase a few sheets of plywood, slap them down, and call it a new trend.

New this season! Despair! Angst!

I am grateful that Ryan has more or less given me control of this project, realizing my day job is just not fulfilling my creative side. However, I often wonder what happens in other renovations, other projects where there is a style deadlock? Or, where "my spouse was away for the weekend and I painted all of the furniture they inherited from the family because I didn't like it". I wonder how that scene looks after the blog post drops?

My relationship isn't perfect either. I have a living room full of red velvet furniture circa 1940 that is fine. I don't really love it, but it serves a purpose. I imagine I could discuss replacing it, but a favourite chair is a coordinating piece of 1960's Italianate scarlet velvet that I have often been told was carried across town in a heat wave, on Ryan's head, because he loved it so much, and that he will never let it go. I could replace every other piece of furniture in the living room, and I will still have Liberaces arm chair to contend with. I can get rid of of the chair and make myself happy, or keep the chair and keep someone else incredibly important happy.
Since my entire kitchen/dining room is currently loaded into the living room I cannot give you a photo of the actual chair. So, imagine this piece of loveliness in chair form, without the black. Yup. Liberace's arm chair.

And this is why I will likely get away with painting the cabinets in the kitchen teal, installing a brick backsplash, and a walnut butcher block countertop.

Checks and balances?

Comments

Popular Posts